We are lucky to have P.A.W.S located in the school. As part of their mandate as a Mental Health Capacity Building project, P.A.W.S. sponsors many child-, family- and community-focused projects. The following are extracurricular programs held in the school.
The P.A.W.S. Junior (Grades 7 & 8) Girls’ & Boys’ Councils meet at lunch hour once per month. Lunch is provided.
Junior Girls: Being a Girl (discussion of issues pertinent to girls in this age group and building resiliency skills to cope)
- Mentors: Mrs. King (Child and Youth Mentor) and Mrs. Thomas (FSL)
Junior Boys: Standing Together (addressing common interpersonal challenges for boys in this age group by employing engaging activities and promotes fairness and teamwork)
- Mentor: Dylan McLeod (R.C.M.P.)
The P.A.W.S. Senior (Grades 9-12) Girls’ & Boys’ Councils meet at lunch hour once per month. Lunch is provided.
Senior Girls: Relationships with Peers (building more effective and meaningful relationships)
- Mentors: Susanne Hanley (AHS), Verniece Atkins (WRAP Coach), Mrs. Lewis (PAWS Coordinator)
Senior Boys: Part 2 of Journey of the Great Warrior (building competencies in a variety of areas and creating a sense of empowerment to contribute to a healthy, active lifestyle)
- Mentors: TBA
- Division 1 (Grades 1-3) on Thursdays
- Division 2 (Grades 4-6) on Mondays
- Division 1 (Grades 1-3) on Tuesdays
- Division 2 (Grades 4-6) on Wednesdays
- Mondays – Division 3 (Grades 7-9) After School Activities
- Tuesdays – Division 3 (Grades 7-9) Sewing
- Wednesdays – Division 1 (Grades 1-3) After School Activities
- Thursdays – Divison 2 (Grades 4-6) After School Activities
Students aged 14 and up are able to access the community gym free of charge provided they attend with Mrs. Lewis or Mr. Tomiak. Stop by the PAWS Office for a consent form and a list of days/times.