What is School Council?
School councils consist of parents, principals, teachers, secondary students and community representatives who work together to support and enhance student learning.
They provide a way for members of the community to consult with and offer advise to the principal and the school boards.
- Focus on what is best for all students in the school
- Consider the interests of all school stakeholders
- Develop, maintain and reflect the culture of the school
- Represent the parent voice in the school community
Each school board should have a school council. School councils are legislated under Section 22 of the School Act.
What Happens at the Meetings?
The School Council receives reports from the administration as well as each School Division (Grades K-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12) describing past and upcoming activities. The School Board Chairperson also attends and reports on what is happening at the board level. In addition, Vanessa Lewis, our P.A.W.S. coordinator, brings us up-to-date on the many programs and services offered through that partner agency. Questions and comments are encouraged.
Grizzly Cubs is the fundraising wing of the group and they always have ongoing projects to fill us in on. They also offer a great opportunity for you to get involved.
Participants are encouraged to bring forward any school-related topics that they have questions or concerns about. See the Meeting Minutes below to learn more about what goes on at meetings.
How Can I Participate?
Whether you are interested in simply sitting in to see what goes on or you have ideas to share, please join us. We meet at 7:00 p.m. in the Flex Room in the school, on the third Thursday of every month that school is in, except December and June. Drop-in participants are welcome! Also, you could contact the School Council Chairperson, Deshia Gaudet, or school administrators to find out more. Our email is: SHschoolcouncil@phpschools.ca
For more information about school councils, please see Alberta Education – What are School Councils?
- September 20, 2017, School Council Meeting Minutes
- October 18, 2017, School Council Meeting Minutes
- November 15, 2017, School Council Meeting Minutes
- January 17, 2018, School Council Meeting Minutes
- February 21, 2018, School Council Meeting Minutes
- March 21, 2018, School Council Meeting Minutes
- April 18, 2018, School Council Meeting Minutes
- May 16, 2018, School Council Meeting Minutes
- September 19, 2018 School Council Meeting Minutes